Tuesday 31 January 2012

Vein of Gold - Panda

Precious panda
You were stripped from me with a nasty gift
a lovely little pram for you to live in
and you must stay at Granny's house till she was too frail


Babe in a pram, I clearly remember placing you with great tenderness
and being told I must leave you there
my heart was wrenched from me as you were wheeled away
my mother's arms about me and my tears

you were taken from me with adult persuasion

I was only two

My parents just had too much baggage
my Panda, you didn't fit their plan


And then we flew to the other side of the world

you weren't recollected with any visit
you didn't belong to me anymore

how should I have remembered from limited snap shots?
The light was bad. It was Christmas
What a slap of shock to find
my first memory was the uncomprehending grief for you

And with my granny gone
I imagine you lost to some second hand establishment
or to the bin, My mother purging our lives again with every move
and don't I recognise myself. 

I forgot and remembered too late
the carry cot, white metal with brown canvas hood
sold for a pittance at an auction among the poor
to raise money for an empty church

Ah,

the vain hope of a fusty attic revealing you safe
pathetic searching through the webs for the precise shape and feel of you
so many lookalikes, 
yet I would know you now and hold you tight

You are so lost! I would have to find you in such a precise way
there can be no fakes, there can be no substitutes
I recall an attempt at a paltry copy when I was still a child
too soft, too new, the colours all wrong, the fur too long

and now the transformation for all must return to the vein of gold

I see myself at five,
climbed in to the soft toy shelf at toys r us
it is late at night and my new sister is arrived
I choose Lisa, my favourite girls name

a Siamese cat, stiff and upright, looking at me sideways
but she has the right colour legs and the right colour eyes
I invest all my love in her
and I notice a compensation of cats echoing through my life

and now I know, my mother tells me
you were taken to the empty church for the children to play with
and my Panda
you were eaten by mice

an echo

I have returned from University
my mother in her laundry room
Lisa has been eaten by a dog and can not be mended
like my cake at my first birthday party

Is there is no protection from these animals?
maybe not, but there is compensation if you seek it

A new Lisa, an older sister where there was none before
a snug fit around a broken heart
miraculously met in Kew
Living Lisa and in some way, Panda, you are returned to me

So tempted till the end, I mention my little red Fiat
and the yellow picture on the back of the door combining black and white
completing us
there was gold in it too but it seemed too scary didn't it

Panda in a pram was just too much.
Mummy and daddy had too much baggage
and somehow I lost my libido like that other Panda
I drive a silver car now and in it my two precious polar bears

No comments:

Post a Comment