Saturday 7 January 2012

At the gate

"Hello! The city welcomes exceptional candidates! Your bank details before we start, thank you, Okay, so that's processing, how can I help?"
"Yes, I'd like to visit the city, I was told that this was the entrance."
"Yes, this is the first gate, I'm sorry, I don't recognise you, are you meant to be here?"
"Oh, well, I've never been here before, but I've been investing in it for years and I've travelled a long way to get here and I'd like to look around."
"Hmm, well, I'm afraid that unless you have a valid pass, I can't let you in. It would be a security risk"
"Ah, of course, so who do I need to speak to to get a pass?"
"Well, there are scouts that go out regularly to find candidates and they issue passes, or you could apply to get yourself noticed, but, excuse me for saying this, if I may make a suggestion, it would save you wasting your time...."
"Go ahead, of course! Thank you!"
"Well, I've been around here quite a while and I've seen quite a lot, and I can tell you straight out, that you're not going to be issued a pass, so you might as well give up. I just don't think that 'the city' is the right place for you." 
"Oh! Wow! well that seems a bit harsh! you've only just met me and you don't know anything about me!"
"Don't be so ungrateful! I'm just trying to help! I can tell by looking at you, you're just not exceptional. Everything about you seems mediocre."
"I'm not mediocre, I have exceptional talents, I'm unique, everyone tells me so, I'm special, I feel it in my bones and I believe that I should be in the city....I've seen it in my dreams."
"No, you're exactly the same as everyone else and the fact that you're even asking for a pass to  the city clearly demonstrates how unlikely you are to get one - no one who asks to visit the city is issued a pass to the city. The city comes to you. The city welcomes exceptional candidates."
"But I have so much to offer, I have raw potential, and I want to be play an active part in this world!"
"Oh, is that all? But of course you can play an active part! Why didn't you say that! you can pay for a 'city experience'. I mean all of us benefit from the existence of the city, so of course you can experience it. You just can't go there!"
"I don't understand, what's a city experience?"
"Well, you can pay to have a makeover to look like a real city dweller and have your photo taken next to models of famous city monuments, We can even produce a personalised sample diary for you of what you would have experienced   if you were to have visited the city, and of course, you can pay to have dinner with a host of city dweller look-a-likes....that's just part of it"
"That sounds great, but I really do feel that I would prefer a real pass to the real city. Can you tell me, how do I apply?"
"Hmph, well, you can pay a non-refundable fee for a copy of the application form and additional fee for a copy of the person specification. this changes on a day to day basis, so you can set up a standing order to receive a copy by bulletin at the end of each day. you can pay top meet an advisor who could coach you in your application, but it's very expensive, it's probably 4 times as much as your paying me."
"Yes, I meant to ask about that - I'm not really happy about having to pay just to be turned away. I think I'd like a refund for the charges so far."
"I'm just doing my job, we all benefit from the city and I'm sure you'd agree that it must be protected. you wouldn't want any old riff raff to be let in would you? Besides, I'd be out of a job if I told you how to get in. I've gone out of my way to help you and  well you don't expect me to work for nothing do you?" 





No comments:

Post a Comment